Summer is a time for fun in the sun, but it can also be a time for roofing maintenance in Dearborn Michigan. With the heat of summer comes potential damage to your roof, so it’s important to stay on top of things and make sure you’re prepared. Here are seven tips for summer roofing maintenance.
Roofing Maintenance for Your Dearborn, Michigan Home during the Summer
There are always problems that can occur on your home’s roof. And many times these problems are caused by weather and other factors. You may even have wildlife that causes problems on your home’s roof. But in any case when you have damage on your roof it’s important to get it repaired quickly and avoid water damage to your home. Routinely looking over your roof can help to prevent problems but there are also other areas which you’ll need to inspect. Here are some tips to help make sure your home’s roof is in good shape.
1. Check your roof regularly for any damage that may have occurred over the winter months. If you see any cracked, missing, or damaged shingles, contact a roofing professional to have them replaced as soon as possible. Sometimes it’s difficult to see any problems with the roof during winter because of snow on the roof.
2. Inspect your gutters and downspouts to make sure they are clear of debris. Clogged gutters can cause water to back up and pool on your roof, which can lead to leaks or other damage. If you have a lot of trees around your home this will need to be done constantly as leaves fall and collect in gutters which can block them. It is especially a problem during the fall of the year.
3. Trim any trees or branches that are close to your roof. Overhanging limbs can fall and damage your roof during a storm, so it’s best to keep them trimmed back. Storms and wind can break away branches which can come crashing down into your home’s roof as well and should be considered when trimming trees.
4. If you have a chimney, make sure it is in good repair and free of any cracks or damage. The last thing you want is for a fire to start in your chimney and spread to your roof. Even if you don’t use your fireplace a routine inspection of the chimney is needed to ensure it is in good condition.
5. Make sure all of the vent pipes on your roof are clear of debris and in good repair. Vent pipes that are blocked can cause trapped moisture, which can lead to rot and other damage. Sometimes leaves and debris can collect on the backside of roof vents and hold moisture against the roof which can also lead to damages to the shingles and eventually cause them to fail prematurely.
6. Inspect your flashing to make sure it is intact and not leaking. Flashing is the material that seals around your chimney, vents, and skylights, and if it is damaged, it can allow water to leak into your home. Look for areas where the flashing is peeling away from the roof or siding. Cracked or peeling flashing can cause a roof leak and water damage to your home.
7. Have a professional roofing contractor inspect your roof at least once a year. They will be able to spot any potential problems and make repairs before they become serious. An annual roof inspection can help to locate problems on your home’s roof that need to be repaired. It can also help to locate problems that can potentially become a roof leak. This can help to prevent a roof leak from happening at all.
Since a professional roofer inspects the roof with experience they can usually find areas such as this which can lead to problems on later on. That’s why have an annual roof inspection done by a qualified roofer is important and advised each year.
By following these tips, you can help keep your roof in top condition and avoid costly repairs. If you have any questions about roofing maintenance or need to schedule an inspection, contact a roofing contractor in Dearborn, Michigan today. Roofing Dearborn serves the entire Dearborn area and provides free quotes on roofing services. Give us a call today at (313) 209-6350 for a no obligation estimate on your roofing needs.