Chances are the roof you have right now is either the one the house came with or the cheapest one the contractor could get during the initial build of the house. Now that you are in the position that no homeowner wants to be in, like waking up to an unsolicited nature shower in your bedroom, you have a moment to gather the facts and make a few educated decisions before you call a local roofing contractor in Dearborn Michigan.
The Quick Facts On Estimating a Roof Replacement in Dearborn Michigan
According to Angieslist.com, the average cost of a new roof is between $4,900 and upwards of $15,000. This is due to several factors like the material layers in your current roof, skylights, types of materials you need to be replaced and what type of roofing you wish to replace the current roof with. The overall complexity of your roof is also a factor.
When Is It Time
- You do not have to wait for catastrophic holes or a cave in. Taking a few minutes to assess the top of your home can determine if it’s time to get a contractor on the phone.
- Before even breaking out the ladder, take a look around. Have a couple of your neighbors had to get their roofs replaced recently? Was your home built at a similar time as theirs? This is a rule of thumb and demands the assessment of a few variables before factoring in, such as whether or not your house had the roof replaced by the former owner and when.
- Has it been roughly twenty years since your roof was built? If so, what type of material? Look up the average lifespan of your roofing materials.
- Look for the obvious. If your roof looks worn, has cracked or missing shingles, visible rot and bare wood that is eroding though, it’s probably time for a fix. Have you been having to spend more and more on roof maintenance every year?
- If you live in a colder climate such as Dearborn Michigan, take note of the level of moss growing on your shingles as they can lock in moisture during the winter and accelerate the deterioration of your roof.
- What sort of weather conditions is your roof subjected to on a daily basis? How long would you like your roof to last? Would you like a roof that self disposes of rain and snow easily, or would it make you happier that your roof absorbs solar energy and drives down your light bill? These are all questions you should ask yourself while shopping roofing materials.
- Not only are all types of roofing built for different conditions, some roofing materiel’s, such as solar tiles and green roofs, come with unique properties. When talking of any one particular type of roofing, not all are created equal. Roofing has a quality range just like any other product. Sadly some of these products do not rate well on the ASTM. This is the international set of standards that building materials are rated on. Ensure you check for this rating on your roofing materials if you wish to take the bargain route.
- Desired lifespan is another consideration while deciding on your roofing material. The undeniable king of roofing materials in America is asphalt shingles. This is due to the fact that they are relatively cheap while being durable in most weather conditions. However, asphalt shingle roofs only have a lifespan of around twenty years.
These are all general tips for coming up with a rough estimate of the sort of budget and requests you will have before you pick up the phone. Ultimately, it is impossible to come to any real conclusions until you have someone come to your house and make a professional roofing assessment on your Dearborn Michigan home. Roofing Dearborn can also give you more specific advice and help you with selecting materials. No point burning your nest egg on rock plated steel shingles when regular steel shingles will get the job done. But these are things only a professional can advise you on.
If you would like more information on roofing and roof replacement, contact Roofing Dearborn today at 734-209-6350. We will be happy to make this process as stress-free as possible for you. Call today for a free quote!