When you are getting your roof replaced in Dearborn Michigan, your contract is the single element you should be the pickiest about. Sure the materials and look you choose is important, but the legal binding agreement between you as the homeowner and the roofing company is a make it or break it deal. You should always thoroughly read and review the entire contract. Never let a contractor speed you through this step, as you need to understand exactly what you are agreeing to.
Important Things You Should Have in Your Roofing Contract in Dearborn Michigan
Be sure that your contract includes the following things so that you are legally protected should the project go awry or the company make false claims that contradict the contract.
- Timeframe – You want to know how long you can expect the project to take. You’ll need to know so that you and your family can make the necessary arrangements and to move anything that you wouldn’t want damaged from the surrounding area of your home. There’s always a chance that this could be altered due to any number of reasons, but having a general estimated timeframe is great for both you and the contractor. You can also consider discussing how delays will be handled so that you are both in agreement should something arise.
- Job Details – Here is where the exact job description should be. You need to be sure that everything you expect to be completed is included and that there is nothing left out that you hadn’t previously agreed to leave alone. You also want to go through this section to be sure that the contractor isn’t trying to do more than what was originally agreed upon as well.
- Materials to be Used – For the most part (not counting any unexpected additions), your contractor should be able to outline what materials are being used for the roof replacement. You’ll want to look here to be sure that corners aren’t being cut and that the selections you made specifically are included in this list. You also should be sure that the colors are correct and there is an accurate representation of the amount of materials that will be used.
- Permits Required – Many placed require specific permits for construction such as roof replacement. Your contractor is responsible for getting the right kinds of permits needed as well as making sure that the construction adheres to the guidelines outlined in the permits.
- Licensure of the Company – You need to be sure that the company you select for your roof replacement is properly licensed to work on roofs in your area. You also want to be sure that a copy is listed in your contract so that you have it and that it is up to date. Be sure that their insurance information is included and there is a general description of coverage for worker’s compensation as well as general liability should any incidents occur.
- Finance or Payment Expectations – While the cost should be included in the contract, the expectations for how that is paid should also be outlined. If there financing agreed on, it should be detailed along with any information regarding late fees, missed payments, and more. Usually a down payment is requested and that information should also be in your contract.
- Termination Clause and Penalties – In the event that your project sees delays or any incidents, there should be information in your contract regarding how to go about terminating the contract as well as any penalties the company will face if their end of the agreement is not upheld. If a project isn’t finished, you shouldn’t have to pay – so this portion of the contract protects you from paying for something that wasn’t done.
By going over the contract in full with your roofing contractor in Dearborn Michigan, you are ensuring that both of you agree to the terms included and both parties are legally protected. Just as you want to be sure the job is done how it’s supposed to be, the contractor will want to be sure they are getting paid to do the work. A reputable contractor such as Roofing Dearborn will be willing to explain and discuss anything in the contract prior to you signing it. Call us today to get started!